January 2023 update
Jan 10, 2023
Hey everyone. 👋
I hope everyone is doing well in the new year. I’d like to provide a quick update of our current financial situation and provide some insight into the recently made changes.
Changes made to toot.community
- We’re now sending emails through Amazon SES instead of Mailgun. They’re significantly cheaper.
- We’ve moved from DigitalOcean Spaces to Cloudflare R2. Although they’re more expensive, they provide a better experience. We’ve seen people experiencing issues with uploading their media. This should be fixed now.
- We’ve started an ActivityPub relay over at https://relay.toot.community. It’s private and invite-only. I’ve reached out to some admins, and there are currently about ±175.000 active people filling this relay. This is great for improving content discovery for all instances involved.
- 38.4 million requests handled in the last seven days (46% less to last update)
- 2 TB data transferred in the last seven days (13% less to last update)
- 238k 365k pages viewed in the last seven days (34% less to last update)
- 13,228,5 API requests served in the last seven days (53% less to last update)
Financial overview, so far
|Category||Nov 2022||Dec 2022||Jan 2023||Average||Total|
|PayPal / Patreon||761,97||1038,09||690,49||830,18||2490,55|
|Caching Proxy / Anti-DDoS*||-20,42||-236,97||0,00||-85,80||-257,39|
|PostgreSQL (Persistent Storage)||0,00||-137,64||-180,26||-105,97||-317,90|
|Redis (Queues / Cache)||0,00||-32,11||-60,00||-30,70||-92,11|
* We’ve paid for Cloudflare (Caching Proxy / Anti-DDoS) in advance for the next 12 months. This is why the expenses appear higher in December.
If any of you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks for reading and until the next time. 🙏
Written by @jorijn.